- Google has a feature that alerts you when your personal information is posted online.
- You can combine that feature with the “Get Your Results” tool to make it harder for people to find them online.
- This does not erase the information from the Internet, but it does make it so that your name no longer appears when searched on Google.
In this illustration, the Google logo is displayed on a smartphone.
Omar Marx Sopa Images | LightRocket | getty images
If you search for your name, address, or phone number on Google, you may be surprised by the number of results you see with your personal information. Google has a hidden feature that will alert you when you find these results, however, will also allow you to delete them.
According to Statista, Google has about 83% of the search market, far ahead of competitors like Microsoft’s Bing, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo. This means, if people are looking for your information, they’re likely to try Google first.
This approach is completely different Ask Google to remove private results, Instead, this feature actively searches your phone number, email, and home address and will alert you when it finds something. Then, you can ask Google to remove it from search results.
Note: Google doesn’t remove your information from the Internet, but it does remove it from Google Search and make it harder for people to find it.
Here’s how to do it.
Google will notify you when your personal information is posted online.
It’s really easy to ask Google to alert you if it finds your personal information. You just need to know where to look. Start by making sure you’re logged in to Google.
- Open your web browser and type myactivity.google.com/results-about-you,
- Select “Results for Review”.
- Select “Get Started” and press “Next” twice.
- Add your personal information: name, address, phone number, email. You can add multiple entries for each.
- Confirm that this is all your information.
- Choose the way you want to be notified. You can choose email or push notifications, or both.
- Finally, you’ll get a pop-up that says, “We’re watching.”
Now just wait for the notification from Google. When you find one, you can choose to have Google remove it from Google Search or choose to leave it. that’s up to you.
Pro Tip: If you made an error, or want to go back and edit, simply return to the “Result Go to the About You page and make your changes.